Cuatro 101: Beginner Lessons for the Puerto Rican Cuatro
A fun-filled journey to learning to play the cuatro!
Are you ready to take on the challenge and learn the Cuatro Puertorriqueño? Well, you've come to the right place!
The perfect starting point for anyone interested in learning this traditional musical instrument. With detailed instructions, useful resources, and videos and audio of concepts, mastering the cuatro Puertorriqueño has never been so easy.
Our step-by-step guide makes the journey fun and keeps progress simple from start to finish. Learn about the basics like parts of a cuatro and posture while playing, as well as more advanced topics like music theory, scales, chords, and even classical music. The course includes both written notation and tablature forms to ensure complete understanding.
Start with activities like jingles and twinkle songs before graduating onto traditional aguinaldos and Puerto Rican danzas - a sure way to gain confidence in playing! Of course, our support team is always here to keep you going when needed - take advantage of our resources today!
The best part? With our step-by-step instruction guide, you'll have all the information you need readily available for faster progress. So what are you waiting for? Join us at 4jibaro.com today so we can take your appreciation and usage of this wonderful instrument to all new heights!
- EASY-TO-FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS - Our step-by-step guide makes learning fun and simple. Follow along with written notation and tablature forms, or watch videos and listen to audio examples that demonstrate each concept. You're guaranteed to understand everything with this user-friendly resource!
- PROGRESS AT YOUR OWN PACE - There's no need to rush. Take things at your own pace and work through the lessons at your convenience. Jump in wherever you feel comfortable and pick up the skills you need to play the cuatro like a pro.
- STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS - Starting with the basics, we'll take you through every step of learning how to play the cuatro. We include both written notation and tablature forms so that you can follow along no matter what your experience level is.
- VIDEOS AND AUDIO - Watch and listen as we explain different concepts and techniques. This will help make learning easier and more fun!
- GAIN CONFIDENCE - Start with fun activities like jingles and twinkle songs before progressing onto more traditional aguinaldos and danzas. A sure way to build up your confidence while playing the cuatro!
Come join us on this fun-filled journey of learning the cuatro Puertorriqueño! With our creative explanations and well-organized lessons, Cuatro 101 offers an effective yet easy process towards mastering an exciting instrument! Let’s get started today!
Samuel Ramos is a seasoned educator, instructional designer, and musician. He graduated from Antillean Adventist University with a Bachelor's in Music Education and from Full Sail University with a Master's in Educational Media Design and Technology, equipping him with the knowledge to excel in both academics and music.
Not only has Samuel served as a music teacher and Assistant professor of Guitar at the Inter-American University of San German, Puerto Rico, but he has also had the opportunity to become the Multimedia Designer for the Walt Disney Company, Digital Learning Designer for the University of St. Augustine at San Marcos, California campus, and Sr. Instructional Technologist for the University of San Diego. His skills have also extended to becoming LMS Administrator/Instructional Designer for Taylor Guitars in San Diego, California. He wrote several instructional books on playing various instruments including the Puerto Rican cuatro, guitar, and mandolin.
When he is not busy teaching or designing content, Samuel dedicates his time to 4jibaro.com—a website that serves as an online community aiming to increase awareness about Puerto Rican folklore music and its heritage. Through his work here Samuel attempts to bring hope and joy to persons through music by transforming the world – one note at a time!
StartMusic Theory: Staff & Musical Alphabet (4:33)
StartMusic Theory: Rhythm, Measure & Meter (5:02)
StartWhat Are Tabs? How to Read 'Em
PreviewThe Parts of the Puerto Rican Cuatro (0:58)
StartTuning the Cuatro (5:30)
StartThe Pick—Picking Patterns (1:21)
StartPosture and Numbering the Fingers
StartExtra Credit: Guido of Arezzo and the Birth of Modern Musical Notation